Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Last

The first time I took a breath, celebrated with a yearly rememberance.

The first time I slept in a real bed instead of the crib, solemnly watched over by my parents.

The first note I played on a piano, beginning a love affair.

The first paycheck, commemorated with a photograph.

The first time behind the wheel of a car, journaled thoroughly .

I have a close friend I sometimes call out of the blue to begin a conversation with the words, "I had a first today...."

So many firsts, so carefully observed.

***

The last time I used a pacifier.

The last time I fit into my favorite pink dress.

The last time Dad braided my hair.

The last time I played "house."

The last time I held my brothers and sister on my lap.

The last time I saw each person in my life who has died.

The lasts...

...slipping by unacknowledged, unnoticed, unrealized. But as precious, as life altering, as any first.

Treasure. Each. Moment.