Saturday, February 06, 2010

This Modern Hand

I am pretty sure I invented modern art. Or at least I practice modern art? Can you practice art like you practice medicine? And isn't it scary, when you come to think about it, that doctors are still in "practice" after all that school? But I digress.

I was tucking Peter in last night -- minus the tucking in part, which means I was kissing him goodnight & exchanging stories from the day -- when he spotted my right hand. His eyes got big.

"WHAT is THAT?" he finally wondered aloud.

Puzzled, I glanced at my hand. Oh yeah....those black ink blots all over my hand. I'd forgotten about those.

"Well, um," I explained, "I was in a meeting this afternoon."

So maybe I didn't invent modern art, but I'm pretty sure whoever did invent it was just like me. A little ink happy. Especially while thinking hard, listening, or suffering from boredom.*

* For posterity: Boredom was not a factor in the meeting described in this page.