Tuesday, April 25, 2006

A Stitch In Time Saves Nine??

Bad news travels fast.

I do hate to be the bearer of bad news. But in this case I simply must point out that there are a few flaws in the wisdom passed down to us from yesteryear.

Sometimes, I don't think that all the facts were known when the great proverbs of the English language were coined.

First, April showers may bring May flowers, but I gaurentee you that March showers bring April weeds first. And green as the grass may be on the other side of the fence, the weeds are always greener on my side.

The weeds do, of course, prove that "birds of a feather flock together." Simultaneously, I'm glad to report that they disprove the principle that "there is safety in numbers." And, happily, we already knew that being "in for a penny" we would be "in for a pound." As they say, "forewarned is forearmed."

I can also take comfort in knowing that weeds choose not to "divide and conquer" to their own eventual ruin.

If only I could take equal comfort in the thought that "time heals all wounds." Time alone can not heal this wound. Instead, we really must depend on "many hands" to "make light the work." Sadly, there is little to show for our labor. For though diligence is called the "mother of good fortune, " in this case it is only a sad fortune that is "here today and gone tomorrow."

Despite the threat that "opportunity seldom knocks twice," I am personally convinced that the weed kingom is entertaining tomorrow's opportunities before today is even over. Of course I feel that this is a terrible "insult added to injury."

Fortunately, spring and summer don't last forever. They say "he who laughs last, laughs longest." And so I shall. All the winter long. At the same time, I'll disprove another cliche. For I am quite determined that absence shall not make the heart grow fonder.

Meanwhile, permit me to remind you that "a friend in need is a friend indeed."

Also that I have a yard full of weeds.

And misery loves company.