Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Am I a Failure?

Three years ago, I graduated from highschool.

That means for three years I have been qualifying myself to answer the questions, "Did homeschooling work? Were you undersocialized? Overprotected? Was the "real world" a shock?"

As a child, I did school at the kitchen table. I didn't spend a lot of time with peers. And I was was kept from the full knowledge of what evil can be. That includes being kept from movies, songs, and magazines that were typical among others my own age.

Yes. I was sheltered.

From the shelter of my home and church, however, I was taught some fundemental truths that make me who I am. I don't know that I would have learned them any other way...

1) Evil is evil is evil is evil. I was taught to recognize and resist evil. Evil is like poison. You don't need to know the name of every poison in order to learn not to drink poison. You need only learn to read the label on the bottle and to be taught the self discipline to refrain from drinking.

2) Only what's done for Christ will last. I was taught to want the gold of life. Life is like digging for treasure. You can spend a lot of time digging and never find anything, or you can look at the map. Just because you dig a hole doesn't mean there's going to be treasure at the bottom. Some holes are worth digging, and some are a pure waste of time.

3) Others may, I cannot. I was taught that saying "no" to poison can be uncool, and that treasure hunting can be a lonely business. Standing alone is like fresh white snow. Some people respect your purity. Some people just want to walk on you and dirty you if possible. But no matter what happens, your job is to be snow. That is what you are.

It has been a couple of years now that I have lived life in the "real world."

I spend more time interacting with adults than I do with my peers. I spend more time with non-Christians than with Christians. I manage my own money and make life-impacting decisions. I love my family. I know that life is short, and I have a purpose in living. I am willing to pay a price to live my life for Jesus.

And...I'd like to homeschool my children someday.