Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Journey Into My Past

I am on the home stretch of the unpacking, sorting and purging process in my bedroom.

Don't you dare tell me those are "famous last words."

I saved the worst for last, which means I have been undergoing the tedium of sorting through boxes of papers especially over the last week or so. Financial papers. Clipped articles and quotes. Sermon notes. Bulletins and event programs. School papers. Letters. Magazines. Word games played with my brother. And all kinds of doggerel (and maybe a few blots of the more worthy sort) I composed all through my growing up years.

Pity me.

From the day I learned to read I have battled constantly against my tendency to indefinitely save every single piece of paper that came into my possession. I remember when I was seven or eight I would set aside a day every six months or so to go through a desk drawer full of papers and weed the not-so-necessary leftovers of life (gradually) out.

Besides being a die-hard saver of all things paper from the time I could read, I was also a prolific writer from the time I could string together a paragraph. This tendency has given me even more paper to save and more work to do in the last week or so. But I must say that some of the scraps of paper which survived my childhood are good for a laugh--or a sigh.

They may also be just the solution I need to get past my recent "writer's block"...or, more accurately, "blogger's block." The scrawled lines which, mixed generously as they are with memories, give me a laugh may at least bring you a smile. So, if you want a peek into the convoluted functions of my childhood brain visit again soon as I plan to post a wide variety of snippets from the past.

Then again, you may prefer to skip this blog for the next week or two.