Tuesday, January 17, 2006

American? Proud of it?

I am a conservative supporter of "local authority." I am convinced that the federal government is a total failure at micromanaging the lives of its citizens. And the harder it tries, the worse the outcome.

But, at the same time, I understand that the federal government is not always the bad guy. It has a role to play, and it is equipped and empowered to play it. If it only would!

This very day, it seems that the highest court in our land has forgotten what I learned in elementary school. Remember? The Declaration of Independence.


"We hold these Truths to be self evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, and that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness--That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men..." (emphasis mine)
And how about the fifth amendment entitled "The Rights of Persons"?

"No person shall...be deprived of life, liberty, or property,
without due process of law..." (emphasis mine)
I'm no lawyer, but I can't help concluding from a superficial reading of these words that my federal government is supposed to protect my life and that of my neighbor.

Am I off track somehow? Today, six of the most learned and prominent leaders in America have disagreed with my surmise.

Today, I live in the only state in this nation wherein it is not only legal to kill myself, but legal for my doctor to help me do it.

Tomorrow, you may be living under the permission. After all, who is going to stop them?

And how much longer can this nation flaunt its ungratefulness for God's most basic gifts, and its rebellion against His most basic laws...and expect Him to bless it?