Thursday, January 12, 2006

How May I Assist You?

"Thank you for calling Sprint together with Nextel, this is Katharine. May I get your first and last name please?"

I don't want to wake up yet!!

"Thank you. May I ask for the wireless number you are calling about?"

I open my eyes, wearily.

"Thank you. How may I assist you?"

I stare at the ceiling, turn over, and try to go back to sleep.

"I understand how frustrating it can be to be improperly billed. I can help you with that..."

* * *

I have started training for the new task the Lord has set before me. Hopefully, two weeks from now I will be an accomplished, knowledgable, friendly Customer Service Representative at a Sprint Call Center near our home.

At the moment, I am merely an overwhelemed, clueless, and somewhat nervous trainee. After all, after one full eight hour day of training, I may remember to assure the customer that I can help them with their billing issue. But if I did proffer this assurance, I would be lying outright. I haven't a clue how to actually solve a billing issue.

Yet.

* * *

"Is there anything else I can help you with today?"

I shut my eyes determinedly. I WILL go back to sleep!

But my mind must finish what it began.

"Thank you for calling Sprint together with Nextel and have a great day!"