Tuesday, February 28, 2006

In Which I Repudiate Anxiety

I'm a cautious--or maybe an arrogant--soul. I don't like to announce success and then experience failure. Maybe that's why I waited until the end of February to announce my motto for the year.

I admit, it isn't super spiritual. And it sounds rather cliche-ish. But I'm going to inflict it on you anyway...it is simply this:

"Do the next thing."

And whatever it sounds like, my motto is really a statement of surrender.

This spring will mark the third year that has passed since my highschool graduation. And I've given up trying to figure out the future.

My hunger to have the game plan for the next ten years, five years, or at least one year of the future has abated recently. God has given me bliss in ignorance. There is no way I can obey Him for ten years in one blow anyway. Obedience will always be a day by day duty. Even if He did give me a peek at the future, life would still have to be faced one day at a time. And His pleasure in me will never come from me knowing where I'm headed tomorrow; His delight will always stem from the obedience of today.

And so I am willing to wait on the future. If He shows me the road two or more steps ahead, I'll thank Him (I think). If not, that's okay too (at the moment). I know He knows, and I know I can trust Him. Either way, I'm determined to stick with my motto and tackle first things first.

And in case you didn't notice, I'm still playing it safe. This is a motto, not a resolution. Come August or September, you might have to remind me I said this.