Thursday, February 23, 2006

Spring Is Expensive

I welcomed the first signs of oncoming spring this year with open arms.

So did my sister.

Personally, I love the flowers.

But much as she likes flowers, I sometimes think she loves dirt more.

The growing season is about to begin here in Southern Oregon, and Abigail has donned her t-shirt (but no shorts) and ventured forth to break up the sod for a brand new garden.

Gardening is not for cowards. Finding help desirable, she struck a bargain with innocent Peter. If Peter helps her prepare her garden, she will pay him with seeds so he can plant his own garden. He enthusiastically agreed, and the duo has managed to turn over quite a lovely little patch of sod. Barefoot, to boot.

Abigail meanwhile is faced with another difficulty. Cheap as her labor came, she must still finance the venture. For this, she decided to begin an ironing business.

This time it was innocent I who was ensnared.

"Did you say you had clothes to iron?" Abigail asked sweetly, this evening.

"Yes, but I don't want to iron them tonight." I replied, rather shortly. Abigail has been begging me to iron her clothes when I finally get around to actually ironing my own.

"I could iron them for you tomorrow," Abigail said. But before my eyes could grow wide with surprise and delight, she added the catch, "for a small fee."

At fifty cents per article of clothing, she is about to earn enough to buy dozens of seed packets. Remember, most of my clothes have just come out of storage. And I don't have a lot of extra time these days.

It's not such a bad deal in the end. Abigail weeds, worries, and revels in the dirt all summer; I wear pressed clothes and eat fresh vegtables come fall.

But I can't wait that long for flowers. I spent four dollars on daffodils last time I went to the grocery store.