Sunday, March 19, 2006

Reporting From Duty

Well, in case you all haven't kept track, I thought you'd want to note that I started training for my job two months ago.

Don't worry, I had to look up the date in order to tell you. I haven't kept track either.

Are you wondering what it's like to work in a call center?

I can tell you. There are frustrating moments, challenging moments, thrilling moments, puzzling moments, relaxing moments, and embarresing moments...but there is never a dull moment!

I talk to between seventy and eighty customers most of my work days and no two calls are identical. There's more than enough variety to go around when you're handling situations like these...

A gentleman who demanded that I make his new phone arrive at his house Saturday afternoon. It had already been shipped Fed-Ex overnight, and was scheduled for delivery Monday. Fed-Ex does not deliver on Saturday.

A gentleman who downright refused a $25.00 monetary credit to his next bill.

A gentleman who called to ask if he needed to do anything to activate his new phone and make it work. He called from his new phone to ask this question.

A husband and wife team who took turns yelling at me for about ten minutes because I wouldn't give them $200.00 for an old phone they didn't want anymore.

A lady who wanted me to keep her son from paying his bill with her credit card.

A salesman associated with our company who couldn't figure out how to make a wireless headseat work.

I've been hung up on, and had people ask for my extension so they could talk to me every time. I've been accused of being unproductive and unhelpful, and I've been told that I made someone's day by being so helpful. I've been called heartless and stupid. But I've also been told that I'm the friendliest customer service representative ever.

So I guess the truth is somewhere in the middle.

I'm just an ordinary person who answers telephones for a living....and who's not about to complain about it.

Imagine!! I actually get paid for talking all day!

This is the life...