Thursday, August 09, 2007

I Am Not Like This (Am I?)

Usually, normal housework and dishes get done without a wrinkle in our harmonious household.

Really.

Sometimes, they don't.

As the frequent (NOT self-appointed) sibling Mediator in Chief, I sometimes hear from the dishes team.

"Katie, who should wipe the counters? The person who washes dishes, or the one who dries them?" "Katie, who should clean the stove?" "Katie, who puts fresh butter in the dish?"

My all-time favorite was (and I quote): "Katie, who has to close the cupboard after the dishes are put away?"

It had been a while since one of these small turbulences has erupted. But, alas! Our peace was not to be permanent. A couple of days ago, when The Dishes Crew had permission to do the dishes in the dishwasher instead of by hand, they appeared near the end of clean up time, calling my name: "Katie! Who has to start the dishwasher?"

Servant's hearts, I hereby deduce, must be cultivated.