Thursday, January 17, 2008

Made For Walkin'

Ok, so life is not as boring as my last post (maybe) maybe it sound.

Nor is life depressing.

Except in the shoe department.

I have been looking for replacements for my very plain pair of dress shoes for about a month and a half. I spent about ten dollars on my newly retired pair almost a year ago. They served me well, but you really can't ask for more than a year out of any $10.00 pair of shoes. If you actually wear them, that is.

So, I started looking. Shoe stores, department stores, speciality stores. I feel like I've been everywhere. It seems that nowhere is there an ordinary pair of inexpensively priced, conservatively colored, 8 1/2 narrow sized, pretty business-like styled shoe to be found.

In desperation, I settled for a decent pair of shoes on sale for $30.00. I was reasonably pleased with them until I wore them to work for the first time. Perhaps a squeak in your shoe might be acceptable if you worked in a factory, but in a quiet office it sounds something like gunfire.

I am currently deciding which of my shoe-shopping criterium to compromise on. Since price and size are somewhat non-negotiable, I'm thinking the break will have to come in style. Maybe I wouldn't look so bad in neon orange spike heels after all?

Meanwhile, I'm making do with an old pair of shoes my sister outgrew. They are half a size too large and a shade too blue. But they don't squeak and they aren't a year old pair of ten dollar shoes.

So, if I run into you on the street one of these days, kindly overlook my shoes? I'm just saying.