Friday, January 04, 2008

Resolved?

Some years I make "New Year's Resolutions," some years I don't. Usually I don't. I've heard various logical arguments for and against the practice, but the main reason I don't is because by the time I've narrowed the possibilities down to what I might resolve if I was going to resolve it is really too late to resolve because the time in which I could have resolved if I was going to resolve has already passed. So then it's not technically a "New Year's Resolution" any more. It is reduced to merely "an-area-in-my-life-that-needs-to-change-so-I-am-going-to-start-working-on-that-now." I'd like to point out that this does not make New Year's Resolutions a good topic for everyday, ordinary small talk with me.

"No, I didn't make a New Year's Resolution. Instead, I isolated an-area-in-my-life-that-needs-to-change-so-I-am-going-to-start-working-on-that-now. Do you have an-area-in-your-life-that-needs-to-change-that-you-are-going-to-start-working-on-now?"

One area-of-my-life-that-needs-to-change these days is that of exercise. I'm starting-to-work-on-that by getting up forty-five minutes early and walking.

There are a few other things I need to work on too. In fact, I seem to have an endless supply. Wanna have some of mine?