Monday, January 02, 2006

Life: The Prioritizing Game

I hope to live a long time. But I guess we all have to face up to the fact that however long we live, our lives will have a limit. Out of the dazzling array of all the things it is possible to do and accomplish in life...I must choose only some.

Choices can be scary things. Often, saying "yes" to one thing means saying "no" to a lot of other things. It's the good, old-fashioned law of you-can't-be-in-more-than-one-place-at-one-time. And, with only one short life to live, I desperately want to be in the right places at the right times.

So, I analyze, categorize, and prioritize.

What are the most important things in life? What goals should I set in the various areas of my life? How do I accomplish these goals?

And sometimes, I over-analyze, over-categorize, and mis-prioritize.

After all, there are an awful lot of good ambitions floating around out there.

But only one God.

Am I so focused on the the things I want to accomplish for Jesus, that I forget to focus on Who He is? So busy "serving Him" that I forget that I am created and redeemed to love Him? All the world does His bidding. He has angels to "do" for Him. He has asked me to love Him. And because I love Him, to obey Him.

Am I missing out on the fulness of what my relationship with the Lord can be...because I am busy wondering what to "do" for Him??

I become frustrated when my questions don't have answers. "What are the most important things in life?" I don't always know.

Might I just possibly be asking the wrong questions?

Who is the most important One in life? What are His goals for me? How can I learn to love Him more?

"Whom have in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my life, and my portion for ever. " Psalm 73:25,26