Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Going For Gold

"Try not to let the glitter of the moment keep you from the gold of life."
- "Dear Abbie" style advice by columnist Carolyn Van Wyck to a reader of "Photoplay" magazine, 1926

How many of today's pleasures will be tomorrow's ashes?

It is worth considering.

Because glitter is pretty. And real gold is rare. And in the spotlight of the moment, it's hard to tell gold and glitter apart.

Lately, as I have settled into a new community and a new job, I have accomplished many worthy goals. And, to me, accomplishing a goal is a sparkling moment.

But have I been more focused on the transitory goals of today than on the long-term goals the Lord has for my life? For His kingdom? For my growth and maturity into one who is more like His own Son?

Yes, I have.

And in so doing, I have been cheating myself of the gold of life.

For when I feel I've done a job well, that is glitter.

But to look forward to His "well done, good and faithful one"...that is gold.