Tuesday, May 23, 2006

We've Had Issues

Wonder why I haven't posted lately?

I could string off my excuses, but I'd rather count my blessings.

For one, we now have hot, running water in 2/3d's of the sinks in the house and I'm as happy as a...duck??

It all started a couple of weeks ago when I was sick in bed. And my grandparents were visitng from out of town. And we were painting the bedrooms. And tearing out panelling in the living room. And the guys came to remodel the bathroom.

In fact, our house looked--and felt--like nothing less than a disaster zone. As if someone had taken everything in the house, thrown it into the middle, and stirred it with a big spoon, then covered it in dropcloths, an inch and a half layer of dust, and some splashes of wet paint.

The situation wasn't truly desparate, however, until the hot water tank started leaking all over the laundry room floor. That was shortly before the kitchen sink started spraying water out of the back side instead of the faucet.

(In proof of human adaptability, Dad's commentary on the subject was, "It couldn't happen at a better time.")

While waiting for the hot water heater to be replaced, we happily reverted to the bathroom sink, grateful that we had a hot water heater for each end of the house. That was before the pipes underneath the bathroom sink came to a watery end. The soggy toilet paper underneath the sink and an assortment of shampoos and soaps were added to the disorganized pile of "stuff" scattered about the house, and the bathroom sink was turned off for a few days.

In the process of restoring us to civilized society, the "workers" turned our water on and off sporadically for several days.

And, incidentally, the heat in the bedrooms.

Maybe this doesn't sound very uncomfortable to you.

But I assure you we were about ready to dial 1-800-RED-CROSS.

But, not to complain. We're more or less back to normal, other than one bathroom being torn out and half of our stuff being piled together and covered in 2 inches of dust and dropcloths. And I developed a gratefulness for water that only slightly surpasses my gratefulness for paper plates.

Pizza, anyone?