Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Earth To Katie

After fourteen years of close interaction, one would think that I would know Abigail very, very well. In fact, I do know her very, very well. Just not well enough to....

Sunday night, I was getting ready for bed & Abigail was talking. About the arrangement of our bedroom. About how she was getting tired of it. About how she wanted something different. About how much neater and more spacious it might look in some other set-up. About how refreshed she would be made to feel by a new arrangement. About whether I would mind.

I've never been one who felt extremely motivated to change anything that was working just fine, but...yeah, I supposed if it made her happy we could at least think about moving things someday.

I left for work early Monday morning and didn't return home until after an evening training session I attended. It must have been about ten-thirty p.m. before I reentered my room.

What was to me an unmotivated willingness to "think" about moving furniture "someday" was to Abigail all the sisterly approval she needed. Every last scrap of furniture and decor was moved and re-arranged. After I managed to reclose my shocked mouth, I had to laugh. I remembered she had even asked me to leave my room extra neat that morning. How could I know her so well & still miss all the warning signs that could have prepared me? And could I find my bed in the dark, strange looking room without stubbing my toe?