Thursday, September 27, 2007

Candid Moments

I enjoyed a long weekend break from work to spend helping host a conference for 12-17 year old girls in our area. It was altogether precisely the sort of thing I would have loved at that age...and the encouragement to focus above all else on a relationship with the Lord & a commitment to please Him no matter what echoes one of the themes of my own walk with the Lord.

~~~~~~

My car battery died last Saturday. I was very tired when I discovered it and my body was so desperate for food that my mind had shut down. Consequently I unlocked my trunk to find my jumper cables & then couldn't find my key. Five or six tired, hungry people searched wildly for my key for five minutes before it was discovered sticking calmly out of the trunk lock.

Duh!

~~~~~~

One of the speakers who flew in from Texas for the weekend conference is an old friend of mine. Obviously, given the distance between us, we haven't spent a lot of time together. It was quite pleasant to spend Monday together.

~~~~~~

I was assigned to help with a jewelry class while at the conference last weekend. If you know me, you may start laughing now.

I was rescued from the class shortly after it began by a call for help in another area. I promise the person who called me away didn't know how much usefulness they were NOT depriving me of being in the jewelry class. Had they known it, perhaps I would have been called away earlier!

~~~~~~

I learned Friday evening that while I had been away for the conference, my family created an amusing spectacle for the neighbors.

"Katie," John informed me, "Dad and Mom spent the afternoon duct-taping their sheets."

"What?" I responded incredulously, "Are they planning to sleep in duct-taped sheets!?"

It turned out it wasn't the sheets. It was the feather comforter. The feather comforter, a gift for my parent's wedding, has lived the last decade only by reason of sentimental strength. We've learned to handle it with care when making the bed, since shaking of any kind emits choking clouds of feathers into the air.

At one time, Mom tried restitching the holes in the comforter, but found that she would have had to restitch nearly every seam to effectively close every hole. Besides, the fabric was too weak to hold a new seam.

John was happy to draw a rather amusing mental picture for me of this newest comforter-fixing venture.

Dad and Mom hauled the comforter outside to the front grass. They shook it vigorously, covering the front grass with fluffy white feathers. The shaking was an attempt to find the holes, which they then duct-taped together.

The electric-meter-reading-guy came just about this time. Imagine the sight he beheld. A white front lawn, and a duct-tape armed group clustered around a twenty-five year old king size comforter.

"Is there a spider in there?" he finally inquired.

I deduce he has spent time around females.

~~~~~~

A good friend & faithful reader of my ramblings here asked after my mop doll when we were visiting together last weekend. She did not, however, agree to give my poor abused doll a loving home.

Fortunately, the sincerity of her friendship has been proved in many other ways before. Therefore, I cannot doubt it now...

~~~~~~

Peter celebrated his 10th birthday this week. For the first time in 22 years, my parents don't have a single-digited child. Now isn't that sad?

~~~~~~

My room at this moment is a royal mess & I am emotionally divided between a distaste for tackling the requisite task and a growing guilt for continuing to put it off.