Thursday, March 08, 2007

The Time Has Come

Welcome to Contemporary Church U.S.A.

What will the service be like?

"To answer this question we must begin by saying that we believe it is a sin for church to be BORING. "
Wow!

I went to church Wednesday night.

We sang hymns. Dad preached. We prayed.

Perhaps not exciting in the traditional sense of the word...but the way my Bible describes the Lord doesn't exactly bring "boring" to mind as the adjective of choice. (Read Hebrews 12 lately?)

I think I'm safe--but I guess it depends on what one means by boring. Our Contemperary Church is happy to elaborate on their definition:


"...it is a sin for church to be BORING. [Therefore] you can expect our services to include an upbeat and contemporary style of music, the use of video, multi-media, and drama as well as other creative art forms."


Maybe I was in sin after all?

It's a familiar feeling, that guilt when I know I've sinned. One of the most uncomfortable sensations I've ever known..... I often get that feeling at church, when the Pastor preaches.

I suppose that our contemporary church, having condemned a specific sin in their opening statement, will be the sort of church where that guilty discomfort is frequent.


"You will find that regardless of where you are in your spiritual journey, we’ll work hard to provide a comfortable environment for you to grow in your relationship with Christ."
Good to know. Not boring....but still comfortable. The best of all worlds. It seems the ideal church, rather.

Reminds me of something; I think I can find it in my Bible. A verse my Pastor has preached on before.

"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and be turned unto fables." (I Timothy 4:3,4)

I can't help but be certain that the time has come....

(In case you are wondering, these quotes are real. I pulled them off of the home page on a website run by a contemperary church. )