Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Color Me Conservative

You probably never would have guessed this, but I am conservative.

I'm conservative in a lot of ways, but I honestly didn't think it showed that much. I mean, lately it's like I'm walking around with a big label on my forehead, "Bearer Is Conservative."

What really surprised me was when people started mentioning it.

Like a couple of weeks ago when I was sitting at my desk at work, minding my own business. At five o'clock a.m. on a Saturday morning, my own business was yawning and rubbing my eyes. I had met the girl at the desk next to mine not too long before, our good morning exchange had consisted of agreeing that we were both tired. Now, in the early morning quiet, she bluntly popped a surprising question, "Are you a Christian?"

I turned, studied her a moment, and smiled. I answered simply, "Yes."

After a pause, I asked her, "Are you?"

"No," she said. "No. I believe in God. But...I don't have a particular religion..."

"How did you know?" I couldn't help but ask after another pause.

"Oh, I have known other Christians before and you're just like them. Nice."

Our conversation was interupted by incoming calls...and we turned back to our call center business.

Even more surprising, perhaps, was the commentary of a total stranger I offered a ride home from work one afternoon. I had never met her before the day she caught me passing out of the office lobby and asked if I was driving towards her home. I wasn't, but I hated to think of her waiting indefinitely for a ride, so I offered to just drive her home.

Pulling out of the parking lot at work, I introduced myself and Paul. Two blocks later, she turned to look at me and said adamantly, "You seem really....really....different. Really....conservative."

And a moment later we knew that we had met a non-Christian who didn't mind "discussing" religion with Christians, but didn't want us to shove our beliefs in her face.

The third encounter was in the lunch room. Paul and I were enjoying lunch together when a work acquaintance walked in. We had occasionally chatted with him. He was another of those who had sometimes used the desk next to mine.

We smiled at him as he stood in front of our table for a moment, dead silent. Then he smiled too, and asked, "Can I ask you guys a personal question?"

Paul and I exchanged glances. "Sure," we agreed.

He was silent another moment and then burst out, "What religion are you? There is no one quite like you. You're so different. You're so...conservative."

Maybe my label should read, "Bearer Is Conservative. And Proud Of It."

Is there anything quite as exciting as knowing that being different shows? As knowing that God can let your normal, everyday, workaday self radiate him to an extent that people notice? And, more...that they ASK??

It's worth every bit of pilgriming.