Monday, May 21, 2007

Naturally

"Yes, it's natural."

Those are words I say rather frequently. They are usually in reference to my hair. Sometimes, they are concerning color, sometimes concerning curl. Yes, it's blond. Yes, it's curly. And yes again, it's natural. Usually, the question comes from an acquaintance. Occasionally, it comes from a complete stranger.

Last week, I was exiting the library when I passed a gray haired woman going the other direction. I think I smiled in her direction; perhaps my acknowledgement of her existence was the reason she turned around a second later and called after me,

"Are your curls natural?"

I turned and informed her that they were.

That was all the invitation she needed to tell me Life Story, Chapter XXV, entitled "Curly-Haired Daughter." Curly-haired daughter (CHD) had straight hair until she was between the ages of 10-14. In fact, it was also fine and thin. "Wispy" is an adjective that might come to mind. She had brown hair, chestnut brown hair, "not blond like yours. Brown. Darker than yours."

By the time CHD turned 14, the transformation was complete. Her head was covered with goregous curls, "just like yours." It had also also turned coarse and thick.

From here the story became rather confused. There is a beautician in CHD's family. It is clear that curls are not "in style." (Although I was also informed that none of the celebrities look even a little bit pretty if they don't have just a bit of curl.) CHD has dyed her hair black, straightened it, and cut it just above her shoulders. She looks quite ugly now. In fact, she looks exactly like a witch.

I admit that I have a weakness for listening to people's life stories. People are infinitely fascinating creatures. But sometimes it is unclear how to best respond to some people's admissions. This was certainly one of those times. What should one say upon being informed by an opinionated gray-haired mother that her erstwhile curly-haired daughter looks like a witch?