Thursday, September 06, 2007

To Everything, A Season

August at our house is the beginning of the end. Of the year, that is. In our family of seven, six birthdays fall between August and November. So does Thanksgiving. By the time we've stopped celebrating, it's a new year.

When Paul was a toddler he killed a spider by covering it with shaving cream. When the suffocating spider staggered out of sight, Paul went to report the incident to Mom. "Where's the spider now?" Mom wanted to know. "I don't know," Paul responded, "In hell, I guess?"

Tomorrow, he will be twenty-one.

When Abigail was a toddler she managed to open a two gallon jar of honey. She was enjoying the experience and all its advantages quite thoroughly until she found herself stuck to the floor.

She will be fourteen tomorrow.

I'd miss my toddler-siblings if I wasn't enjoying the grown up ones so very much!